Mold. The word alone can cause homeowners to break out in a cold sweat. Mold is not something that any one wants to deal with, especially if the problem is under your carpeting. If your carpet somehow becomes damp and not dried thoroughly, mold growth can begin in a matter of days.
Carpet mold can form for a number of reasons. A persistent leak in your home, untrained house pets, or even over watering of houseplants can all cause damp carpeting and eventual mold growth.
Signs You May Have Carpet Mold
If you feel that your home may have a mold problem, watch for these signs.
- Mold can appear as green, gray, or white patches on your carpet. If you notice spots or clusters of spots in damp areas, this is a sign that there is mold growth beneath the surface of the carpet.
- A musty smell in the room is another indication of mold growth. This smell can indicate high moisture levels and hidden water.
- Increase in allergies and asthma. If there are individuals in your home that experience chronic respiratory problems, an increase in symptoms may be an indicator of mold growth.
What to Do About Carpet Mold
Mold can cause a plethora of health problems, which is why treatment and removal of mold as quickly as possible is highly recommended. While smaller jobs may be treatable on your own, larger sections (typically 5 feet or larger) require treatment by a professional that deals in treating mold.
It is important to move quickly when you find mold growth on your carpeting. In addition to calling in a professional mold remediation team, you can take these steps to help keep the issue from spreading while you wait for the professionals to work their magic.
- Reduce the humidity in the room. Mold thrives in high humidity areas. Using a dehumidifier, work to bring down the humidity levels between 30 and 50%.
- Ventilate the room. If possible, open windows and doors to other areas of the home. The air circulation will help the carpet dry as quickly as possible and will help with any existing odors.
- You can use a dry bristled brush to remove visible mold spores. Brush away the spores and discard them into a trash bag. Vacuuming is not recommended as it can cause the mold to spread to other areas in your home.
Calling in a professional mold remediation team like the one at Rytech is the best chance to remove the mold from your carpeting and prevent mold from spreading into further areas of your home. Our team assists homes in Southwest Louisiana with any type of household mold problems. We’ll quickly and efficiently remove the problem, helping homeowners repair their homes with safe living conditions.
Call us for more information about how we can help you and your home if you suspect your home may be suffering from a mold problem.