Knowing how to clean the air ducts in your home can help you reduce dust and allergens for everyone living in your home. Here are a few ways to clean your HVAC ducts yourself between professional cleanings to keep the dust at bay.
DIY Tricks for HVAC Cleaning
Chances are you don’t own a high powered vacuum truck with hoses long enough to reach all the vents in your home. That’s why we recommend bringing in our Rytech professionals to clean your HVAC system on a regular basis. There are different ways to help prevent dust, debris, and allergens from building up inside your ventilation system between cleanings.
- Clean out and replace all furnace filters. Make sure you have the right size filter for your needs. Remember to date the filter to know when it was last replaced. More modern heating and cooling systems will have an automatic filter indicator on their displays. This let’s you know when it is time to replace the filter, but a manual back-up will ensure the filter is replaced regularly.
- Start to loosen the dust inside the registers. This is as simple as tapping any visible ductwork with a broom handle, which will cause dust pockets to loosen.
- After removing the register plates, it’s time to start vacuuming up the dust from inside. While a standard household vacuum will work for this task, something stronger like a Shopvac is recommended. Once the vents are open, use the vacuum hose to reach as far into the ventilation system as possible, pulling out the dust and debris.
- While you work to clean the vents, keep the HVAC fan running. This will move the dust you’ve loosened towards the vents, allowing your vacuum to reach and remove it.
- Clean off all vents before replacing them. Dust travels through the grates every day, so clean these with a mixture of soap and water. Once the dust and dirt is cleared, dry well (you don’t want mold forming in your vents), and replace the return grates.
Call in the Professionals at Rytech of SWLA
Professional air duct cleaning is something that all homes should have done regularly. How often is dependent on a number of factors – such as the size of the home, number of people, pets, and if any inhabitants suffer from allergies or respiratory problems.
At Rytech, we work in homes all over the Lake Charles, Louisiana area to keep the air ducts clean and dust free. Our professional team is trained in Rotobrush technology and DECON DF 200 systems that will increase the air quality in your home and possibly reduce energy bills.
To schedule your air duct cleaning, call Rytech today – our specialists are standing by.