Mold is a common problem that many homeowners may not even know they deal with on a regular basis. Mold in small amounts is nothing to get concerned about, but larger amounts of mold growth is cause for concern. Most homeowner’s insurance policies will not cover damage caused by mold. In addition to potential structural issues, mold can also cause health problems for residents living in the home.
The best way to get rid of mold is to make sure it doesn’t find its way into your home at all. Use these steps to help keep mold out of your home and prevent potential problems.
Quick Tips to Prevent Mold Growth
- Identify any problem areas in your home. While making a home mold proof is not feasible, making it mold resistant is something that you can achieve. Look at your home. Is your basement prone to high levels of moisture? Do you notice flooding in different areas of your home? Are there water stains on different parts of your ceiling or dry wall? If you notice problem areas, it’s time to start waterproofing and calling in a plumber.
- Control the climate inside your home. While mold does like warm temperatures, moisture is what makes it really thrive. The goal is to keep the humidity level between 30 and 50 percent. This level of humidity will keep mold at bay. Anything higher, and the excess moisture produces an ideal breeding ground for mold.
- If you notice any wet areas, dry them right away, and dry them thoroughly. Mold can’t grow without moisture, so taking away any wet spots is a great way to prevent growth. After a particular heavy rainfall or a leaky pipe, drying out the area right way will keep mold at bay. Likewise, do not leave wet towels or clothes laying around. Always wash and dry them as quickly as possible, minimizing the possibility of mold growth.
- Invest in a dehumidifier. This will help keep excess moisture out of the air and will keep humidity levels low.
- Install proper ventilation. Bathrooms are the perfect place for mold growth. They tend to maintain high levels of humidity and are typically the wettest room in a home. Adding in a ventilation fan to pull out moisture during a shower and wiping down wet walls after a bath will keep mold away.
When to Bring in a Professional Mold Remediation Team
While mold prevention is a great way to work against mold growth, there are ways that mold could find its way into your home. If this happens, it is important to quickly call in a professional mold remediation team like the one at Rytech of SWLA. We are the premiere mold remediation and decontamination service company in Southwest Louisiana.
Mold growth is not something to ignore. Mold can cause a number of different health problems from respiratory issues, allergies, and much more. In addition to health problems, mold can become a major problem for your home itself. Growth on wood or drywall can be hard to remove, as most home remedies do not find the source of the mold problem.
Instead, they rely on visible removal of mold and do not get deep into the root of the problem. At Rytech, we use DECON DF200, a product that kills mold, bacteria, viruses, and decontaminates much more.
If you suspect you may have a mold problem, call us to schedule a mold service appointment right away. During your appointment, a certified Rytech mold remediation technician will be dispatched to your home. They will perform an inspection of your home and review the safety of your home.
Once you approve the work recommended, we will begin the process of removing mold and restoring your home. Call us today to schedule your appointment now.